Nigella Lawson Books

  • Feast
  • How to Be a Domestic Goddess
  • How to Eat
  • Kitchen
  • Nigella Bites
  • Nigella Christmas
  • Nigella Express
  • Nigellissima

Monday, 5 November 2012

Spaghetti with Olives & Anchovies Pasta

Have been home alone for a few weeks and also starting a regime of medication that has knocked me out of whack for a while. Thankfully after a week my body seems to have got used to being flooded with chemicals so it was time to get back into the kitchen for a decent dinner. As it’s technically a day of rest I didn't want anything too taxing or fussy, but after a week of bland food I also wanted something with a bit of taste; spaghetti with olives and anchovies seemed to fit the bill.
 
I haven't been able to find spelt spaghetti in my sleepy backwater, and have an aversion to whole-wheat pasta, so it was just bog standard spaghetti for me. I'm a recent convert to anchovies so I wasn't sure what to expect of this. Other than boiling the pasta there is no cooking involved - ingredients blitzed together in a mini blender, a few spoon full's of pasta liquor and the mix with the cooked spaghetti. This produces a wonderfully pungent, pesto like sauce. The overarching flavour is, surprisingly, olives, with the freshness of lemons and hit of garlic, the anchovies are a mellow carrier for the other ingredients. This is a strong tasting sauce but is tempered by the blandness of the cooked spaghetti. I thought it was delicious but probably not for you if you don't love olives (which I do). One word of warning - this does contain raw garlic, so not perhaps the best thing to eat for a romantic dinner (or even if you have a meeting the following day!).
 
For me another Nigellissima success - which I guess might be getting a little boring for some. The recipe is reproduced here:- http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/spelt_spaghetti_with_olives_and_anchovies


1 comment:

  1. I wanted to make this yesterday but I had no anchovies... glad to hear it's tasty, I'll try and make it today :)

    ReplyDelete